After Japan had lost WW II, KHI was forbidden to produce aircrafts by the Allied Forces. So with its free capacities, the Kawasaki Aircraft Co. Ltd. decided to build motors for the motorcycle industry instead.
In 1954 KHI brought its first selfmade 125 cc motorcycle into the market under the brand Meihatsu.
In the late 50s KHI entered into a business relationship with Meguro Works, the No. 2 in building motorcycles at that time in Japan and called »king of four strokes«. Mergo had become the second biggest motorcycle producer by having a good relationship with the government, and took advantage of the army orders in WW II. The business relationship between KHI and Meguro lead to a full merger in 1962. The new company was named Kawasaki Motor Sales Co. and was the forerunner of Kawasaki Motorcycle Co. Ltd..
Japan once had about 100 motorcycle producers but only four big companies survived - and Kawasaki was one of them ...